Handwashing is one of the best ways to prevent infection and protect yourself from getting sick. Follow these steps to protecting yourself and others from spreading infection.
Follow These Five Steps to Wash Your Hands the Right Way
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold) and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Be sure to lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
Use Hand Sanitizer Only When You Can’t Use Soap and Water
Using Alcohol-based Hand Sanitizer:
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Pour small amount of sanitizer into palm and spread over hands and fingers and thoroughly until dry.
- Clean and replace equipment.
- Discard disposable items according to Standard Precautions.
Hand washing is one of the easiest and least expensive ways to protect yourself and others from illness. Good hand washing is the best defense against the common cold and other illnesses that spread easily from person to person.